Complete guide to adopting Plant suspension. The green spirit invites itself into every sphere of life, including interior design. Green plants are the ideal alternative to get closer to nature and create a soothing oasis at home. And although it is enough to select a few species adapted to the conditions of the different rooms, if you want to dive even deeper into the ocean of possibilities and creativity, we invite you not to miss out on adopting the flagship trend of the moment, including hanging plants. To help you refresh your home almost effortlessly, we explain everything you need to know to find or make yourself a plant hanger. Let’s go!
The decoration in hanging plants
Flowers and hanging plants become an integral part of the contemporary interior. Whether it is because we realize the importance of nature and vegetation or simply for aesthetic reasons, the presence of a touch of greenery is a very popular detail in the design of the moment. So it’s no surprise that many of today’s styles embrace this trend with open arms, putting plants on a pedestal. Of course, we are mainly talking about bohemian chic and bungalow styles as well as tropical decor. But if you are fond of less eclectic and more elegant decor, no problem bringing a touch of freshness even in the minimalist interior.
Hanging plant for outdoor/indoor
Apart from the aesthetic aspect, revitalizing the atmosphere through suspensions for plants is also a practical tip, ideal for limited spaces with not enough room to store your flowers. Or your favorite herbs. In addition, it is a superb alternative to protect your favorite plants from the curiosity of your pets. Moreover, we are not only talking about the interior because the floral suspensions go beyond our homes’ walls to brighten up our balconies, terraces, or gardens and lotus flower drawing.
Where and how to hang hanging plants
Indeed, there are many ways to arrange your plants in height. For example, you can play with different locations (on the ceiling, on an exposed beam, on the walls) or even make a sort of vertical garden-style decoration to organize your herbs, vegetables, or fruits on the balcony. You can even opt for an imitation curtain arrangement to ensure more privacy in a room with a large window. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate hanging plants into every room:
- Succulents in terrariums hanging in the living room
- Bouquets of fresh flowers stored in small bird cages for romantic decoration in the garden
- Different plants and flowers to create a room divider in a studio
- On a driftwood branch hanging above the table in the dining room
- On a small decorative ladder above the bathtub in the powder room
- On a broken clothes rack in the bedroom
What plant for suspension
There are many species that you can hang in your home. Climbing plants, succulents, carnivores, aromatic herbs, flowering plants, or depolluting plants… Among the most widespread plants in the suspended version, we find Zebrina pendula, Devil’s ivy, Pearl necklace, Rhipsalis falling, Ceropegia wood, Ivy vine, Ferns, Chain of hearts, Chlorophytum, and many others.
Which container for a suspension
In general, you can use almost any kind of container to create a pretty suspension: terracotta flower pots, vases, plant terrariums, plant fiber planters, planters, etc. On the other hand, do not hesitate to give new life to all the objects you no longer use: plastic or glass bottles, birdcages, wooden crates.
Hooks and hangers for plants
As regards the suspension element, various materials are also used: balcony support, hooks, steel pot support, driftwood branches, clothes rack. One of the most popular options is the macrame rope suspension. It is possible to make such a suspension yourself by using a few simple techniques to make macrame knots. If you like creative adventures, we show you some ideas for making a pretty plant pendant in the following lines.
How to make a plant hanger
Do you like creative projects? So, why not try making your plant hanger yourself? There are many DIY alternatives, all simple and achievable in no time. To help you in this activity, we provide you with the most popular homemade models and some easy and fun tutorials.
Model 1.DIY macrame pendant light
- Cord for macrame 3mm
- Macrame metal circle
- Spray paint (optional)
- 1 / Cut 8 pieces of cord. In this tutorial, we use pieces with a length of 3m.
- 2 / Pass the cords through the metal circle, making sure that they are folded in half. So, you need to get 16 ropes (of the same length) hanging from the circle.
- 3 / Now, we must tie a unifying knot to keep them in place. For this, you will need another piece of cord. In this tutorial, we use a cord with a length of about 60 cm. Let’s see the simple steps of making this unifying knot with an added rope:
- · Place the added cord on the cords already folded in the circle: we start by folding the cord to form a loop (the loop must point downwards). Then take the shorter end and put it on the left side.
- · Now, you have to wrap the longer end around the cords and the loop of the added cord.
- · Continue to wind the long end, pulling firmly and leaving the lower loop of the added cord uncovered.
- · When you’re happy with the length of your gathering knot, thread the long end through the loop at the bottom.
- · Pull on the short end to tighten the knot.
- · Tighten the ends as close to the knot as possible.
- 4 / It is now the turn of the flat knots. We start by dividing the 16 cords into 4 groups of four cords each. We must make 2 flat knots per group. To create a nice pattern on the hanger, you need to ensure that the knots are all equidistant from the gathering knot. To help you, use a tape measure and pencil to mark the starting point of each knot. In this tutorial, we make the first row of flat knots at 50 cm from the gathering knot.
Find More Related Article: